Join us over on Patreon as brewmaster-of-the-pod Linnix (né Jed) takes David, Justin, and wives-of-the-pod Suzi and Lindsay on a sudsy journey through a land of Hops, Barley, Wheat, Water, Rice, and more!
The homework/ shopping list we were given was:
Snacks to bring:
pretzels, saltines, etc. (try not to do anything with too much flavor (e.g. not Cheetos, ritz crackers, goldfish, etc.)
Beers to Pickup – If you have a local liquor store that does mixed six packs that’d be best. Don’t buy anything too expensive or that you wouldn’t want to pour down the drain if you hate it.
1. A Standard American Beer – Think Coors/Coors Light, Budweiser, Miller, etc. Don’t do anything with flavor (e.g. don’t get a bud light lime) maybe get two of these. They will be a good pallet cleanser.
2. Something Hoppy Try an IPA or an IPL – Try Bell’s Brewery Two Hearted Ale, Dogfish Head Brewery 60 Minute IPA, almost anything from Sierra Nevada
3. Something Malty – Try a Marzen or an Oktoberfest, or an Amber Ale. Look for New Belgium Fat Tire, Sam Adams Boston Lager, 90 Shilling Ale from Odell Brewing Co
4. Something Roasty – A stout or a Porter – Try Guinness Milk Stout but feel free to look at other options.
5. Belgian Beer – Look for a Belgian beer like a Dubbel or a Tripel. Look for Blue Moon or Hoegaarden.
6. A tart Beer – look for a Sour, a Kriek, a Lambic – try a 10 Barrel Crush, any Sour IPA, a Gose, a Flanders Red, Anything from Crooked Stave.
7. Optional bonus: Pickup something that you want to try that seems fun. Thoughts on wild categories are a Rauchbier (Smokey flavor), A Spiced beer, something that’s either mixed fermentables (e.g. a rye, a mead) or a beer/other beverage mixture like a Radler or a Shandy, or an English Beer. But follow your heart.
The “Flavor Wheel” Jed talks about can be found here. Follow along!
The photo set of the night is available over on Patreon.com/jimmyeatpod!
If you enjoyed this and want to follow along on our journey after-the-fact, join us on the new beer-you-me channel on the Jimmy Eat World Fan Club Discord Server!
And to round it out, be sure to check out and even contribute to Jed’s Jimmy Eat Wiki project!
Beer You Me, my EXCELLENT friends!
Wanna learn more about beer than you thought you wanted to? Hear the full episode over on Patreon for FREE until the first of the following month!
Follow us on Instagram at @jimmyeatpod
Follow us on Twitter at @jimmyeatpod
Get some merchandise here
Call us at 484-J-EAT-POD